Don't Be A Jimba

My seven-year-old son aptly coined the phrase 'jimba' around this time last year. A word so clever and frequently used in our household now, I am compelled to share, as I'm sure you will encounter a plethora of 'Jimbas' this holiday season!

I nearly submitted the word to Urban Dictionary, if not for the fact that it already existed, much to my chagrin. Ironically, and to my son's satisfaction, the word jimba means a big green balloon with sexual organs. Of all the luck! You can imagine the hilarious laughter that erupted from my four children when they found the Urban Dictionary definition of jimba. I still ponder how a big green balloon can have sexual organs, for which I blame myself, having lost much of my own creativity in adulthood.

I prefer my son's definition of jimba, which is simply 'a very stupid or idiotic person'. Thankfully, jimba has affectionately replaced 'numbnuts' and 'butthead' in our house in full disclosure.

My daughter's eighth grade class was full of immaturely idiotic boys last year, who were constantly referred to the principal's office. "Jimbas!" the girls laughed, in the presence of the clueless boys.

Regardless of political affiliation, I believe we can all agree that last year's election cycle was ripe with jimbas. A few minutes of news and I've had my fill of jimbas for the day!

Unfortunately for our family, the contractor that completed our new home epitomized the definition of jimba, as we later settled damages in mediation. Needless to say, our closest circle of friends has welcomed jimba into their vocabulary, a credit to my children's lack of reservation.

A wordsmith myself, I relished the alternative derivatives of jimba from my children. Of course there is the noun 'jimbecile', a more formal use of jimba, not to be confused with imbecile. "Did you see that jimbecile give you the finger mom as you slowed down to make a left turn?" I hear more often than not, as angry, impatient drivers who are undoubtedly late get frustrated and speed around my carload full of children.

Jimbecilic has become my 7th grader's favorite word this year, and while I'll admit the frequency is completely irritating, it has a better ring to it than adjectives of profanity. "It's totally jimbecilic that I have to make my own lunches!" my son declared while slapping together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the breakfast counter.

My favorite Christmas presents are always handmade or simply a day without sibling rivalry, to include more wine than whine! I was delighted last year when my husband and teenage daughter immortalized the word jimba in a keepsake for our home. A framed gift our entire family will cherish and a veritable conversation piece in our living room when guests visit. (I trust you will appreciate the entirety of the masterpiece, inserting your own examples, rather than jimbecilicly judging theirs.)



It is my hope that we all benefit from the creativity of children, embracing their positive actions. Now more than ever, the world needs more love and tolerance, and less jimbecilic behavior. Try the word, it has a certain allure and always makes us smile!

Some final blessings this holiday season from my family to yours...

~May your thanksgiving table embrace family and guests who are not jimbas.
~May your holiday shopping be easy and stress-free, avoiding jimbecilic shoppers and drivers.
~May you think twice before acting like a jimbecile in haste. I promise you will be rewarded with peace!





Comments