Justified Hooky/Day of Rest

I will never regret playing hooky with my daughter this week.
A justified 'mental health' day, we called it.
A day to unplug and reset.
To sleep in and rejuvenate.
The day our souls connected in peace.

Free from the fear of mass school shootings.
Free from the pressures of social media.
Free from the judgment of strangers.
Free from the stress of schedules and to do lists.
Free from negativity and injustice.

Huddling together under blankets in the darkness.
Sharing the experience of 'Pretty in Pink'.
Realizing high school hasn't changed much.
And clothes are back in style.
I want her to know I understand.

I'm here for you sweet child, no matter what.
I have your back everyday.
Even if threats at school persist.
And you experience discomfort.
Your world grows but I never waver.

We continue to feed our souls.
Thai food and yoga.
Connecting in restoration and breath.
Nurturing what's needed.
Practicing stillness and letting go.

Trust me you're gaining resilience.
And so am I.
Tugging at my heartstrings.
We don't always see eye to eye.
But today we are free to just be.

I would regret not playing hooky.
You are my only chance at a daughter.
I hold tight the memories we've shared.
Yet grow weary as the years fly by.
You spread your wings and let go all too soon.

You smiled in appreciation and understanding tonight.
Proud and protective tears filled my eyes.
We gained trust and reinforced love today.
We are strong women.
But even the most resilient need rest.

Grateful, blessed, nurtured.
We continue the rat race tomorrow.
Best parenting advice, slow down.
Life lessons for us all.
Connecting, one child at a time.








Comments