Desperate

Desperate times call for desperate measures and more than halfway into the summer, I was desperate for a few hours to myself. Selfishly I craved time to write, to attend yoga, or simply to use the bathroom ALONE. I was desperate for a creative alternative that didn't include screen-time, arguing or debate, when lo and behold, the perfect solution presented itself, to include my kids bonding (without my guidance) and exercise on bikes! The hours of entertainment were sure to please everyone, including this desperate mother of four kids.

What is this Utopian solution? Vintage arcade games! They didn't harm us as kids and beat the hell out of the violent first person shooter games my kids' friends play. Frogger, PacMan, Asteroids, Centipede, Donkey Kong, you name it, Ground Kontrol has it and it's only a four-mile bike ride away. My sons say it even builds hand-eye coordination for baseball, though I'm less persuaded.

Just yesterday I set out on a Forced Family Fun (#FFF) bike ride with my eleven and thirteen-year-old to Ground Kontrol for a couple hours so they'd know the safest route for future adventures. In all honesty, I was exhausted from lack of sleep, and together time in an arcade was an easy solution to pass the hours. (Accumulating eight miles of exercise and positive endorphins while sitting my tired ass on a bike was an added bonus!) Yes, a win-win for all, cause I'll admit I sometimes wave the white flag in desperation.

Upon arriving at Ground Kontrol and learning my Frogger and PacMan skills were obsolete, I saw the sign...a heavenly beacon of advertising calling to this desperate mother while blinking 'Free Video Games', all-day $5 on July 25th. That's damn cheap if you ask me for a few hours peace and quiet. "I'll even spring for the cover charge," I shouted in relief!

Needless to say, my sons enthusiastically embraced the idea despite the 90-degree temperatures today. Moreover, the eight-mile round trip bike loop and camaraderie warmed this desperate mother's heart as I poured my coffee this morning, giddy to be plotting my newfound freedom before picking my youngest son up from biking camp.

As I sit here answering to no one except my teen daughter who's home now to eat in between her swimming pool work hours, I smile knowing I'm simply outnumbered! I'm also glad my sons are together gaining confidence navigating their bikes downtown and building street smarts, important life skills often surpassed if kids are sheltered from adventure on their own. I remind myself my parents didn't know where I was half the time growing up and I built resilience and inherent spy skills as a result.

I'm convinced my boys arrived safely at Ground Kontrol as my 11-year-old texted from his flip phone that he holds the new high score in Frogger. Apparently from his latest text he also holds the new high score in Mario and is thankful flip phones can text pictures too. 💕As I navigate the parenthood journey, these memories of desperately creative solutions bring a huge smile to my face, a win-win for all! I challenge you to find your own vintage arcade this summer, with or without your children.

Comments