Clash Royale

Clash Royale is not just a popular Supercell video game, it's also what happens when an inch of snow falls in Portland, schools are closed, and your mom tries to go 'old school' banning the use of screen time as long as humanly possible.

"But mom, we already had a snowball fight, there's not enough snow left to build a snowman and the sledding hill is mud! Plus, we already played a board game and foosball, and you made us play soccer and basketball in the street," said my 11-year-old, working every angle.




Hell yes, I told them to go play in the street! Where's the sense of adventure on a day without school? Shaking my head, I marvel at six neighborhood boys who can't find a creative thing to do.


"Can we please play Clash Royale together?" the other boys chime in.

When I was a kid... we walked uphill in an Iowa blizzard of 50 below wind-chill in three feet of snow to school and spent summer hours lost in the woods or neighborhood when left to our own devices, I thought to myself.

Devices; that's the problem nowadays! Not a day goes by that I don't hear can we play on our iPads? So ensues the Clash Royale between the younger generation and their parents. I can't wait for summer said no parent ever! Constantly reminded of the daily negotiations for screen time, I assure myself there's another reason I've put off re-entering the workforce to write since we moved to Oregon, so my four children don't rot their brains if left to their own devices...

"But mom, at least we are all playing Clash Royale together," he continues with persistence. My son interrupts my brief daydream of a place a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, in my childhood before iPads existed.

I feel myself growing weak. Lately I haven't had a moment for myself in pursuit of my novel goals, consumed by four children's activities and appointments. Screen time moderation and responsible boundaries aside imagine if I had 45 minutes of peace and quiet alone...a win-win for all!

"You have a point about teamwork," I agreed. "Ok, but here's the deal, I set the timer for 45 minutes and then you can all play outside or find a board game." Cheers of joy and laughter erupted and all was right in the world again as I began to type this, time ticking...

Clash Royale Teamwork

Telestrations Teamwork

I'm thrilled the neighborhood hangs at my house. It's sheer cacophony. The laughter is contagious and there's even music when high schoolers unplug. I'd argue the headache's worthwhile, though my dogs in howling or hiding would disagree.



I'll provide the food and drinks; bake the cookies (and monitor the screen time). I'll even post a sign allowing for outdoor play on my city block. You better believe there were balls flying today; snowballs, soccer balls, footballs, basketballs.


Looking ahead at the forecast I know we're all doomed. The Clash Royale has only just begun! Snowmageddon or the Snowpocalypse? Sounds like a writing assignment for us kids stuck at home with nothing to do!





Comments