Be Careful What You Wish For - RV Life Day #13

Be careful what you wish for, I'm reminded time and again on our RV extravaganza. The newness has worn off and we're now in it for the long-haul. From 115 degrees in Las Vegas, Nevada, to Portland-rain-soaked Bryce Canyon, Utah today with thunder, lightning and flash flood warnings. We wished it was cooler as the kids grew nauseous driving in the back of the bus, windows open and papers blowing from Paris to New York down the Las Vegas Strip without a generator for air conditioning, now I only hope this boat can float!




I had cherished the RV resorts without WiFi when our four kids had no choice but to swim in the refreshingly cool waters of Lake Mead, or bike ride the red-orange canyons of Zion National Park. Of course our Schnoodles were along for the ride, whether doggy paddling after ducks or barking away the menacing deer, we turned Covid-frowns upside down with canines in bike baskets, ears flapping in the breeze.


Besides, Schnoodles suffer from a serious case of FOMO (freaking out, missing owner) and we could not risk being kicked out of an RV park with full hook-ups due to our barking dogs.




Now, trapped in this tin can as the waters begin to rise, I'm grateful for the strength of internet connectivity so my three boys can electronically battle away instead of complaining about their sister's high pitch (dare I say ear piercing?) violin scale and etude practicing. They merely hum along by this stage in the game because they've all had a shot of dopamine from the gaming gods.


My husband and I could absolutely use some social distancing on day 13 of this family adventure and his pacing outside under the awning gives me at least 10 feet of space to bake some muffins in my tiny RV 'Easy Bake' oven. Covid-19 quarantine back in our Portland home with virtual home-schooling on the horizon, makes RV life look easy!

Good grief, he's on the roof now, thump, thump, the RV is rocking. Surely he's checking out the damage, hoping the RV doesn't leak, and not the tallest lightning rod in Ruby's RV Resort! On second thought, maybe our ship has set sail.

As for the Easy Bake oven, I always wanted one and figured Raisin Bran muffins were in order, as I've had enough calls to unclog the shitter in this tin can. Who knew my RV muffins would turn out better in this tiny oven than in my 'gourmet' six burner gas oven at home? The sweet smell of cinnamon and sugar make the place smell a heck of a lot better too. I know at least one kid who hasn't showered in two weeks, and as for the two pubescent boys, one peep and I'll shove 'em outside with a bar of soap.


Sure enough, we now have proof that Clark Griswold did in fact crack the AC on Day #1 of our RV extravaganza, pulling into a parking lot without overhang clearance. Humble enough to text me, now he's up there diagnosing the damage, a veritable software engineer turned RV HVAC technician!



Hallelujah, the sun is breaking through the clouds! Our first chance to bike to Bryce Canyon and today marks the mid-way mark in our month-long journey of family bonding. Will we survive the forced family fun? Honestly, I'd consider a longer cross-country trek if not for the family, though I've learned to be careful what I wish for, hoping our luck doesn't run out. On second thought, maybe I'll social distance myself away from this motley crew in Bryce Canyon because the RV's now heating up and we all could use a breather!





Comments