Using All My Lifelines

I often feel outnumbered as a parent with four children at different stages of maturity. Sometimes I amusingly picture myself barely hanging onto a life raft, a child dangling on each arm and one slung on my back, while my husband tosses me a fourth child from the sinking Titanic ship of life. This was one of those mornings when I needed to summon all of my 'lifelines' to gain courage as a parent, rather than succumb to the icebergs of parenthood.

No stranger to my circus, I've learned through the years that in order to maintain my balance, I need to take care of myself, or risk drowning amidst the raging waves of children's hormones. Setting off on a run this morning to gather my parenting thoughts and positive endorphins, I was looking for any sign of encouragement, Pandora tunes energizing my stride. Always cautious of my surroundings, I noticed an older gentleman approaching me from ahead, the path rather empty otherwise. An enthusiastic "Good Morning!" accompanied by his thumbs up was all I needed to push myself the extra distance. How nice of him I thought, acknowledging his thumbs up to this downtrodden mother, lifting my spirits as a result, as if to say, “great job, keep going Mom!”

Still relishing the kind gesture which propelled me the first two miles, I caught a glimpse of an Iowa Hawkeye baseball cap on another gentleman in the park ahead, walking his dog. Plucking my ear buds out of my ears, I shouted "Go Hawks!" slowing down to see if he took my bait to spread love and kindness. Sure enough, as any true-blooded mid-westerner, he turned to me to engage as I approached. "I'm a Hawkeye myself!" I exclaimed. Asking where I lived in Iowa, I stopped with a smile. Turns out we both lived in Iowa City and his folks were from Mason City, the high school town where my husband and I met. "My family name is Hall and my folks lived by the footbridge in Mason City, my father having been an editor at the Globe Gazette," he continued. Shut the front door, I thought to myself! Small world. Exchanging pleasantries, I continued on my run, dumbfounded by the coincidences.

With two spirit-lifting experiences under my belt, I decided to take no chances and use another lifeline to 'phone-a-friend'. Parenting can be lonely, and without like-minded sisters to pull me through in solidarity, I may as well drown alone. A few friends have become my rocks in the turbulent seas of motherhood, my lifelines, and when all else fails I reach out to them, never having been blessed with a blood-sister of my own. Positive encouragement, empathy, validation and love are gifts they provide, often unsolicited, like the heart-warming Facebook post that additionally surprised me this morning from another long-distance friend. Needless to say, my battery was fully charged thanks to these encounters. My confidence renewed, I regrouped with my chin-up, text scheduled a date with my teenage daughter, outlined a parenting game plan going forward and regained the courage to shower, and yes, even brush my teeth!

As for the random occurrences this morning...I believe in my guardian angel. Ever since my father's premature death prior to my 21st birthday at the cusp of my adulthood, I have found peace in the depths of despair, through random experiences or 'lifelines' that inspire me to maintain resilience. Whether I believe what I choose to see or see what I choose to believe, I prefer to acknowledge his presence lifting me up with encouragement to persevere. I acknowledge the same guardian angel-like presence when my friends reach out with a life preserver, pulling me back to land on my feet. These lifelines ground me and fill my soul when I need it most, because parenting isn't always filled with rainbows, unicorns, butterflies, hugs and adorable toothy grins. I am grateful my guardian angel seems to know that and the sun is shining bright today. Thankfully reinvigorated, I'm ready to face another 'Adventure In Motherhood'!





Comments