Vigilante Justice

It seemed we had created our own street playground in Portland, with no less than a dozen children corralled every afternoon playing four square, tetherball, basketball, football, whiffle ball, you name it! A veritable dream for both children, eager to compete in fresh air, and smiling parents, tired of their kids' addiction to electronics, dreaming of yesteryear when street play was our only option as children. Balls were literally flying everywhere, cut-through street traffic was calmed, laughter resonated for blocks, and we created community, until February 9th, when we received a city citation claiming violation of the right-of-way ordinance for recreational items in the street. Shaking my head in disbelief as I read the notice, I was astounded that anyone would report such positive activity, let alone in progressive Portlandia! I was determined to overcome this vigilante justice.

With negative news daily, children seem to be a beacon of hope for our future. Who would want to stifle their positive activity? Vowing not to succumb to the anger boiling inside of me, lest I become the person who reported children playing in the street, the mamma bear inside of me decided diplomacy was my best initial course of action. The citation gave us 30 days to remove the basketball hoop, tetherball pole and colorful planter we had placed in front of our home to 'recreate' our children, or risk a $1,000/day fine thereafter. Nevermind we observed the majority of homes in Portland placed basketball hoops in the street and neighbors informed me that the tetherball pole had existed for nearly a decade without incident!

Initially I called the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) division that issued the citation, requiring that we place the items in violation at least 16 feet behind the face of the curb. Unable to reveal the individual who reported our 'crime', Nikko at PBOT persisted with the bureaucratic spiel supporting the ordinance allowing for parking in front of my home. She also assured me that I would lose any request for an 'encroachment exception' and urged me to additionally report my neighbors with hoops in the street. "That's the last thing I would ever do when recreation creates community!" I declared. Deciding victory did not rest in Nikko's department, I knew I could summon CIA tradecraft, making a friend who might be of assistance in the future. Given that our yard sloped 16 feet behind the curb and sidewalk making basketball impossible, I chose the path of least resistance allowing her to visualize my predicament on a neighborhood street that dead ends. Thankfully she began to commiserate with the safety and well-being of my four children. Still fuming that we had to remove objects that slowed traffic and prevented parking in front of our house, thereby increasing visibility and allowing for play, I simply made her an offer she couldn't refuse. Nikko received confirmation from her manager that the items could be placed directly on the curb and the city would 'turn a blind eye'. "Yes ma'am, please document that in our file!" I suggested, breathing a sigh of relief.

Watching children joyfully play in front of our home, safe and outside, we resisted moving the equipment until the 29th day of the month, secretly hoping the naysayer would wallow in self-doubt. Determined to persevere, I dialed PBOT traffic contacts and 'livable street' programs, conversing with individuals who lacked funding, yet supported my case. "PBOT never enforces these ordinances unless cases are reported, as in your unfortunate circumstance," they all sympathetically explained. The basketball hoop was less than the width of a car, increasing visibility for our children exiting our driveway on bikes, while parking on both sides of the city street made it nearly impassible. "With street calming measures unaffordable, this provides a cheaper alternative to speed bumps!" I joked to my PBOT traffic contact. Researching 'play streets' in other cities, I realized the uphill battle, with larger metropolitan needs. Neighbors on surrounding blocks offered to sign a petition and financially support an encroachment permit, but PBOT dissuaded that route, as denial was inevitable, citing policy not to provide for more affluent neighborhoods with parks nearby. A long-shot, with nothing to lose, I emailed a letter to a news reporter as a last-ditch effort to uncover the injustice! Feeling humbled yet undefeated, I decided to take matters into my own hands and teach the children my own version of civic justice.

On the 29th day following the PBOT citation, our new sign arrived, cleverly designed by my children. Teaching them the art of theft-proof signage installation, we elicited many smiles and high-fives in return. The sign is self-explanatory, and while we cannot legally prevent parking in front of our house, we can attempt to deter it with creativity and good humor. 

Introducing our new 'compliant streetscape'. Your balls are welcome anytime. Positive vigilante justice prevails. Livable communities brighten our world. Peace and recreation for us all! Play ball.


Comments